Top 5 Things A New Mom Starting Business Should Do
As a mom, just making the decision to start a business can feel like jumping over a 30 ft mountain. You may have all sorts of questions and doubts swirling around in your head that will almost prevent you from even going forward. However, you're special.
You know that you are special. You know that you are meant to live a life that feels meaningful, purposeful, and intentional. You know that you want to be a more present mom. A less stressed mom. A happier mom. You know that you want to live and create a life that doesn't feel so fast paced all the time and forces you to miss those important moments in your kids' lives. You want to be there for your kids AND have financial security.
Well, mama...Yes, you can have your cake and eat it too!
So for all the mindset challenges you have already overcome to make the decision to start a business, CONGRATULATIONS! Just know that when times feel tough and you start feeling a little discouraged, SMOM'S LIFESTYLE is here in your corner with a blowhorn shouting: Keep Going, You've Got This!
Now that you've got the ball in your hands, here are my 5 Top Things A New Mom Starting a Business Should Do.
1. Create a Vision Board: A vision board is a powerful visual tool that helps you clarify your goals, aspirations, and the future you envision for yourself and your business. Include images, words, and symbols that represent your desired outcomes, such as financial success, work-life balance, personal growth, or positive impact. Check out our collection of vision board printables & aesthetics to get started. Put your vision board in a place where you can see it regularly. It will be a constant reminder to you of your aspirations and will help you stay motivated, focused, and aligned with your goals, especially on those tough days when you're feeling tired or frustrated.
2. Create a Self Care Vision Board: Creating a self-care vision board can be incredibly beneficial for a new mom starting a business. You may not know it yet, but self care is THE #1 PRIORITY you need to make when starting as a new mom starting business. It's easy to neglect yourself amidst the demands of daily life. A self-care vision board serves as a visual reminder to prioritize YOUR well-being. It encourage and remind you to take breaks, engage in activities that rejuvenate and help you learn to create a healthy work-life balance. By creating a self-care vision board, you can visualize and manifest the self-care practices that will support you in both your personal and professional life as a new mom starting a business.
3. Conduct Market Research: Thorough market research is crucial for understanding your target audience and your competition. Identify who your want your potential customers to be. Think about their needs and how your business can fulfill those needs. How can you solve their problem and do it better than existing solutions. Do a little research on your competitors' website. Jot down your ideas of their strengths and weaknesses and use this information to find opportunities for how you can be different. This information will help you create a solid business concept and develop marketing strategies. However, DO NOT get stuck here and over think this either. The most important thing you can do... is ANYTHING! Throwing spaghetti at the wall is better than just staring at the full bowl (if you know what I mean).
4. Define Your Business Idea and Goals: Take the time to identify your business idea and what you aim to achieve. Consider your passions, skills, and if there is a demand for your product or service. Think about your long-term and short-term goals. Think of it both personally and professionally. Doing this will give you a clear direction and purpose for your business.
5. Build a Support Network: As a new mom starting a business, it will be a major help to you, especially in the long run to have a strong support network. Surround yourself with people who can provide guidance, advice, and emotional support. Connect with fellow entrepreneurs- join Facebook groups and listen business podcasts. Join business communities in your local area or networking groups. Seek mentorship from experienced professionals in your industry. This can even come in the form of a podcasts or online course. These connections can offer valuable insights, inspire you, and help you overcome challenges and mindset hurdles along the way.
Starting a business is a marathon, not a sprint. It will take dedication, perseverance, and flexibility from you. Just take one step at a time. You can't "eat" an elephant in one big gulp. Remember, piece by piece. Have a mindset that's open to adapting to the challenges that come your way. Stay committed to your vision.
You're a STRONG MAMA ON A MISSION (SMOM). A very wise man once said, " There is no force greater than a woman determined to rise" -W.E.B. DuBois
Keep moving forward with your new mom business journey!
Jess Peachy 😘